[Sca-cooks] Re: Food-related Meta-Issue

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 18 21:08:38 PDT 2006

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa commented:
  ====
*snork* of course, when you read history you find that there's a
reasonable cross-section of rulers just as distributedly dorky as ours;
except all SCA kings have one thing in common that period kings didn't
have in common: skill at single combat.
=====

Well that and the fact that there is only so much damage (or good)
that they can do in six months. Of course, also unlike period kings,
they can come back in six months. But there is at least a break. I
guess there was actually some of this in period, Matilda taking over
from Stefan comes to mind, but it wasn't common.

====
After all, the point of a king's champion is that the king doesn't HAVE
to be the best in the whole kingdom at single combat.
====

Was "king's champion" a period concept?

====
I know of a certain SCA Royal who was an excellent military leader, a
good fighter, had a cadre of loyal guards who obeyed his every whim, a
queen who kept court in period state-- and a kingdom full of enemies
because he (along with some of his associates) was a very period-style
Royal jerk. (I give him credit that when he was on the throne he tried
not to be a jerk.)
====

Sounds a bit like 16th C. England.

Stefan