[Sca-cooks] Re: Rumpolt Hungarian Chicken

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 16:04:53 PDT 2006

Greetings

Thanks, I have actualy been trying to follow this
thread, since I was aware of it.

Below is my redaction of 'a cooked old hen in a broth
in the Hungarian Style' from 'Caerthes A and S and
Outlands Crown Tourney II',  November 4, 2004
.
*NOTE: I was cooking this for a crown tourney (the
redo-rescheduled-dropped-on-the-small-A&S-was-taking-a-breand-new-team-to)
and it was a DRY site, so I used all vinegar (in
retrospect could have used half grape juice, but ...
If I were to re-do it, it would be 1C cider vinegar
and 1C white wine (Rhein or Riesling)

in Service
Gwen Cat

Rumpolt old hen  recipes LXXXI

I. GEsotten Hennen in einer Bru:eh
I. cooked hen in a broth

2. Auff Ungerisch gelb eyngemacht Hennen.  Nim(b)
Epffel vnd Zwiebl/ auch Limonien/ hack sie klein/
Nim(b) darnach ein Ridtfleischbru:eh/ vnd setz sie zu/
vnd lasz sieden/ bisz dasz gar eyngekocht.  Nim(b) die
Hennen/ die gesotten ist/ vnnd doch noch sieden
gedarff/  thu das Gehack in ein vberzinten
Fischkessel/ geusz lauter Wein vnnd  ein wenig Essig
darein/ leg die Hennen darein/ vnd lasz darmit sieden/
machs darnach ab mit Gewu:ertz/ Pfeffer vnd Saffran/
vnnd zuckers wol/ lasz darmit sieden/ dz ein kurtze
Bru:eh gewinnet.  Du kanst auch wol ein wenig Brot
darein hacken/ so wirt es ein wenig dick davon/
schneidt ein wenig Bertrumkraut daran/ oder magst
Limonien schneiden fein breit/ so ist es gut vnd
zierlich.

2.  Done Hungarian (style) yellow cooked hens.  Take
apple and onion/ also lime (lemon)/ chop them small/
take thereafter a beef broth/ and put them in/ and let
them simmer/ till they are cooked down.  Take the
hens/ that are cooked/ but may still be simmered/ put
the chopped (cooked down veggies) into a tinned fish
pot/ pour clear wine and a little vinegar thereto/ lay
the hens in there/ and let it simmer/ season it after
with spices/ pepper and saffron/ and sugar it well/
let it simmer/ that a short broth appears.  You can
also chop in a little bread/ so it becomes a little
thick therefrom// cut a little (chamomile? Anacyclus
officinarum Hayne) thereto/ or (you) can cut lemons
nicely thick/ so it is good and delicate.

For 75 servings

50 lbs chicken leg/thighs (lots of waste...)
10 lbs apples (peeled, cored, chunked)
5 lb lemon (peeled, pith removed, cut into chunks )
5 large onions peeled and cut into chunks
chicken broth (left from prepoaching the chickens)
2 cup cider vinegar *note above
salt
pepper
sugar
saffron
additional lemons, thinly sliced

I forgot to start them in beef broth, but as I cooked
them in batches, the first batch had water with onion,
and by the final batch it was good strong chicken
broth.  I simmered the chicken for about 20 minutes
each, then removed the skin, bagged and froze them.
Separately I took the chunks of apple, lemon and onion
and simmered them (started with a little water with
lemon, then the natural juices came out) till they
were soft. Then put all the chunks through a food mil,
thinning with the vinegar.  At the site I plan to
season with salt, pepper, saffron, and sugar, add a
few more chunks of everything and let the chicken
simmer for another 2 hours. Final presentation will
include thin sliced lemons.

Message: 11