[Sca-cooks] Verjus

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 20 14:32:32 PDT 2006

"Michael Gunter" <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  >As for the Middle Eastern someone else mentioned. The label says "sour
>  >grape juice" and i hesitate to say that it is anything other than a verjus
>  >substitute. I've tried two brands, and, wow! is that stuff harsh and sour.
>
>  >Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
>  >the persona formerly known as Anahita
>
>Well, I kind of wonder if the harsh and sour stuff is a bit
>more authentic. Reading from period sources verjuis
>was crushed crabapples or green grapes. The bottled stuff
>seems more like an underdone wine. Has anyone crushed
>the crabapples or grapes and did a taste test?

I'm too urban to grow stuff in my apartment, but last summer we did
find green grapes (and i mean !green! as in unripe) at the Berkeley
Bowl, which were perfect for a recipe (Martino?) that called for them.

If they show up again this year, i can experiment and let y'all know.
But that'll be a few months off...