[Sca-cooks] renting convection ovens?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 22 20:37:01 PDT 2006

Urtatim replied to me with:
  ====
Stefan li Rous wrote:
 > You can *rent* a convection oven? How big is such a thing...

As i said, it held four half-sheet pans... exactly. A sheet pan is a
standard commercial cooking pan - it's rectangular and flat with low
raised edges. A half-sheet pan is, well, half the size of a sheet
pan. Adamantius probably know the exact size. A sheet pan will not
fit into a standard home oven, but a half sheet pan will.
====

sigh. I'm not that experienced in this institutional cooking stuff.
That description doesn't help me much. But I think Adamantius
answered this question with more details.

====
I'd guess that the monster was not quite as big as a home oven,
divorced from the rest of the stove. It was awkward to carry (i
couldn't cuz i'm small and my arms couldn't go around it), but it
wasn't horribly heavy.
====

Okay. This is closer but is more about the inside size that the total
size. It sounds though that the walls of the convection oven are
about the same thickness as a standard oven. I didn't know if they
had special venting or extra electronics for the fan(s) or just what.

=====
 > I assume these are strictly electric

Is there any other kind of convection oven? I don't know... Were you
hoping for propane?
=====

I assume that there are natural gas powered convection ovens which
have an electric fan for moving the hot air around. Not too likely
for a rental unit, but I slipped into thinking about convection ovens
in general and not just about whether a rental one was useful for
feasts.

When we needed to replace my 20 year old Amana microwave, I did
briefly look at some convection/microwave models. I can see some
advantages in the combo since the microwave often won't brown food on
its own. The microwave I bought, although highly rated by Consumers
Reports, suffers from the problem of randomly bursting into flame
behind the grill in the non-cooking area. Maybe I'll have to
reconsider this convection oven/microwave combo. Or I may just back
up and use my mom's 25 year old, non-electronic, Amana microwave.

So, either in commercial kitchens for a feast or for home use, what
are the advantages/disadvantages of a convection oven?

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas