[Sca-cooks] bacon in corn bread

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 09:05:39 PDT 2006

Cat Dancer wrote:

> I have a recipe for corn bread that calls for bacon grease as its fat.
> It's from one of those compilation cookbooks, this one with a Chicago
> focus. The recipe is in the "Black Americans" section.
>
> I'd love to see what a similar cookbook from one of the other larger
> cities would look like. Mine was published sometime in the 1960s or
> 70s, I think. Maybe earlier.
>
> Margaret FitzWilliam

I collect stuff like that... will check when I get home.  The first one
I want to hit is one I bought in Atlanta in the late 90's, from
African-American families.  I bet they have something like that.
 Secondly, a book on early boarding houses, history and recipes.  I bet
it's in there too.

Cholesterol, my foot!  If you worked as hard physically as the people
who invented these foodways, cholesterol would be the least of your
troubles.  Trying to make Soul Food "healthy" is a lost cause.  Without
lard, an essential flavor and mouthfeel componant is completely lost.
 That's my opinion and is not intended as medical advice, etc.

Selene