[Sca-cooks] Re: Thoughts on cheesemaking

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 14:48:49 PDT 2006

Greetings,

Different cheeses have different yields. Fresh cheeses are very loose
and pretty much condense the vast majority of fats and protiens out of
the milk. You get much more, "milkyer" whey the harder the cheese you
are making. Mozzerella leaves a fair to middlin whey, but your best
wheys are by-products of the making of hard cheeses.

You would have to make a huge amount of Paneer to accumulate enough
whey to make ricotta worthwhile.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva