[Sca-cooks] Re: Thoughts on Cheesemaking

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 15:42:27 PDT 2006

Not at all, it's just that when an acid is used to
separate the curds from the whey it does a remarkably
good job at getting all or most of the solids out.  I
failed miserably time and time again at trying to make
Ricotta because I was using the whey from an acid
separated cheese.  Once I began using whey from a
Renneted cheese I no longer had those failures.  It
was funny, I thought there was something wrong with me
for several months that I couldn't make one of the
simplest of cheeses.

As an added note, don't try making any Mysost/Gjetost,
etc. from the whey of an acid separated cheese.  All
that work of cooking the whey down to a peanut butter
consistency and you had this nasty flavor from
whatever acid you used.  Blech!

Eibhlin

Confusion here- when I make Paneer (i.e. fresh cheese
from hot milk and
lemon juice) the resultant liquid is pretty clear- not
much in the way
of
solids to make ricotta (or any other sort of "2nd Use"
cheese..)
Have I omitted or included a step some where in the
process?
Pyro