[Sca-cooks] 16th C non-alcoholic drinks?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 18:31:08 PDT 2006

Actually, Urtatim wrote:
>>  I have few books on 16th century European food. Those i've gone
>>  through list very limited non-alcoholic beverages.
>>
>>  Can anyone recommend sources for 16th century non-alcoholic
>>  beverages? I'm not a brewer and won't be making ale or cider between
>>  now and then.

>  I haven't looked there, but you might find something in Digby...
>
>  Kiri

I looked in Digby. If i were a brewer or vintner, i'd be happy. And
i've never seen so many mead and mead-like beverage recipes in one
place (well, other than a book about making mead). Digby is all about
fermentation, baby.

I just wish that there was evidence of sugar syrups! I mean, there's
plenty of evidence for the use of sugar, plenty of evidence for
cooking fruit in sugar... but no darn fruit syrups in Digby or any of
the other 16th and early 17th C. books i have.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita