[Sca-cooks] Re: Thoughts on Cheesemaking

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 19:53:46 PDT 2006

Aelianora!  I recommended that lady on Artisan
Cheesemaker's to your article on the Florilegium.  I
am going to have to try the ricotta recipe from
Bifrons and Markham, as I make a lot of butter and end
up with a lot of buttermilk that usually ends up going
down the drain.  What a waste.

My husband and I are moving at the end of the year and
we are planning on living outside of town so that we
can get some dairy animals.  Right now we're in town
and laws prohibit hooved animals within city limits,
plus we don't have a big enough yard to support a
dairy animal in comfort - even with supplementing the
feed.  I'd really like some La Mancha's as I met and
fell in love with them a while back.  Then, if we get
a good sized piece of land, I'd like to get some
British Native Goat's (they're period!).  I'll
actually be able to get fresh milk without driving all
over creation for it.

Eibhlin

Eibhlin's account of ricotta making and recipes are
really good.

I use slightly different methods.  I have my own raw
goat's milk,
from my own raw goats.  So I know the milk is treated
well, and it's
extremely fresh.  I only make whey cheese from the
whey left over
after making renneted cheeses; as she mentioned, whey
from acid
coagulated cheese doesn't coagulate well, again.

<snippage>

YS,

Aelianora de Wintringham
Baron of Dragon's Laire