[Sca-cooks] 16th C non-alcoholic drinks?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Apr 25 07:56:47 PDT 2006

Heresy, Milord, heresy to have mislaid so valuable a text.
Mine is here at hand.
Let's see.. lots on wines, recipes for wines,
discussions of beer and ale, verjuice, There is a bottled lemon water R321.
Mention that Ingatestone Hall had piped supply of 'sweet'
springwater on page 17.
Beginning on page 363 there is a section on SIRRUP recipes and
Hess notes that these were clearly medicinal, but that they would have been
used to provide cooling drinks in warm weather. These include recipes
for sirrups of violets, roses, etc. Lots of steeping of petals in water.
You could substitute bottled syrups I would think.
The manuscripts are dated circa 1580-1625,.

Johnnae