[Sca-cooks] Periodoid sallads

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Apr 25 14:25:52 PDT 2006

On Apr 25, 2006, at 5:11 PM, Devra at aol.com wrote:

> I always thought that the oil went on first so as to coat the
> greens, and
> prevent them from being wilted by the vinegar...
>      Devra, undocumented

It's certainly possible, but I don't think anyone ever said exactly
why. My own preference is to do the reverse, immediately before
serving. I find it lets the vinegar cling to each leaf a little
better instead of forming a pool at the bottom of the bowl, and
softens the effect of the vinegar in the mouth.

You do sort of have to wonder why the practice of adding the oil
first seems to have been largely abandoned. There must be some
reason. Maybe medieval and Renaissance salads weren't tossed in bowls
prior to serving?

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04