[Sca-cooks] 16th C non-alcoholic drinks?

Robert Downie rdownie at mts.net
Wed Apr 26 20:53:13 PDT 2006

I'm not sure if these have been posted yet.  Some are late period, some
are early period.  I'm guessing there are folks interested in both out
there (despite the original question specifying 16th C drinks).
Faerisa
--------

Non alcoholic beverages of the middle ages
http://forgottensea.org/medievalbrewers/noalcohol.html

--------

I think I remember seeing Clarea de Agua suggested, has anyone suggested
hot chocolate for late period yet?

http://jducoeur.org/justin/chocolate.txt
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/chocolate-msg.html
including a recipe from 1631 published by Antonio Colmenero who
had taken it from a Marchena physician;

            700 cocoa beans
            1 1/2 lbs. white sugar
            2 ozs of cinnamon
            14 long red peppers
            1/2 oz of clove
            3 cods of logwood or Campeche tree - similar to fennell
                 or instead use
            the weight of 2 reals (or a shilling) of anniseeds
            as much Achiote to give it the color of hazelnut

---------

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodbeverages.html
has the La Varenne recipe (I posted notes from this one out of the
Forilegium earlier)

[1653]
"How to make Lemonade
It is made several waies, according to the diversity of the ingredients.
For to make it with Jasmin, you must take of it about two handfull,
infuse it in two or three quarts of water the space of eight or ten
houres; then to one quart of water you shall put six ounces of sugar.
Those of orange flowers, of muscade roses, and of gelliflowers, are made
after the same way. For to make that of lemon, take some lemons, cut
them, and take out the juice, cut it into slices, put it among this
juice, and some sugar proportionately. That of orange is made the same way."
---The French Cook, Francoise Pierre, La Varenne, Englished by I.D.G.
1653, introduced by Philip and Mary Hyman [Southover Press:East Sussex]
2001 (p. 238-9)