[Sca-cooks] coopering (barrel making)

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Thu Apr 27 08:24:05 PDT 2006

> > but it doesn't do well for storing water or whatever. Wooden barrels
would
> > seem to be great at SCA events, at least the smaller ones and for events
like
> > Gulf Wars where onsite storage is possible, they wouldn't have to be
> > transported back and forth each year.
> >
> > Stefan
>
> Wouldn't storing barrels onsite be problematic given that the barrel
> really needs to be kept wet?
>
> Margaret FitzWilliam

Actually, you can store them dry, but you really need to have them wet for a
couple days, so the wood swells again, for them to hold water again. Or at
least, that's what the guys say who use them for slack tubs. I'd dearly love
to get my hands on one for my own slack tub and find out for myself.

Phlip