Cooking at Home - was RE: [Sca-cooks] Non-feast cooking

Tom Vincent tom.vincent at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 10:42:42 PDT 2006

Well, I have a tabletop BBQ pit, so I love putting a standing rib roast, rack of ribs, pork roast, whole chicken, turkey breast or leg of lamb in that, marinating them with garlic & onion, letting them slow-cook for about 5-8 hours.

  I have a rotisserie convection oven, so I'll put two chickens in that, stuffed with oregano fresh from my garden and some sliced onion.  A turkey breast is fantastic that way, too.

  I do Moroccan lamb stew, with cubes of lamb quick-charred with garlic, then added to a pot of tomato, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, parsley, cinnamon, honey, dried fruit (raisins, currants, apricots, apple, pineapple, cranberries, whatever), slivered almonds, mint, oregano, dates, figs, cumin, dried thai peppers, jalapenos...served over cous cous or quinoa.

  I have a lot of fun with my pro Belgian Waffle maker.  Maple syrup, honey, molasses, chips (chocolate, butterscotch, mint chocolate, peanut butter), chopped nuts (macadamia, almond, cashew, hazelnut), different base flours (buckwheat, spelt, whole wheat) and assorted fruit toppings (strawberry, blueberry, boysenberry, apricot, peach).  Yes, a lot of fun!

  And then there's the bread machine, experimenting with teff, quinoa, amaranth, kamut, rye, buckwheat, etc...

  I love my local farmer's markets and natural food co-op!

  Duriel