[Sca-cooks] Re: coopering (barrel making)

Sheila McClune smcclune at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 27 21:36:07 PDT 2006

Lijsbet wrote:

I have several buckets which I dutifully kept submerged all winter,
since I live in Denver. The directions that came with advised that
submerging was preferable to drying/re-wetting, since the cycling of
moisture can warp the staves to the point where they can't hold water
even when wet. Of course, they now all have a slime coat, and the steel
hoops have rusted and fouled the water. One of these *was* my water
"cooler" - not too interested in puting drinking water in it now!
<<<

Ewww!  No, me either!  I'm really sorry to hear about that.  I loved
that little water cask of yours ...

Do you suppose it would have helped to change the water more
frequently?  It might have helped with the slime coating, though I still
can't see that keeping the rust from happening.

Arwen