[Sca-cooks] lamb vs. mutton

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Apr 28 20:49:23 PDT 2006

While this describes the condition of lamb Bonnefans desires as a delicacy,
it does not specifically define what is a lamb.

Platina says that lambs are sold to the butcher before they are weaned.  Is
this because they are only lambs until then or because the lactating ewes
can be milked, providing further profits?

While considering some other aspects of lamb, it occurred to me that a key
difference between a lamb and a sheep is sexual maturity.  Different breeds
mature at different rates but the average is 6 to 8 months.  Modern breeding
recommendations suggest 13 months for males and 15 months for females.
Castration for wethers is recommended after 3 months.

Interestingly, Platina states that castration should be at 5 months.  The
variance in castration times suggests that modern diet may lead to earlier
maturation, but lacking corroborating evidence, that is pure speculation.

Bear