[Sca-cooks] What NOT to serve at feast...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Apr 30 16:16:20 PDT 2006

On Apr 30, 2006, at 6:27 PM, Kerri Martinsen wrote:

> http://www.phmoms.com/Yulehumor.html
>

> Proof that just because it's period doesn't mean it SHOULD be done...

Yeah, well, <shrug>...

Where do we get to the part where there's anything actually wrong
with the food? ...With the possible exception of the mercury-and-
sulfur-filled bird, pig or (I think) hare, which is probably not
supposed to be eaten?

I mean...

1. Oh, my gosh! Organ meats! The horror!

2. Exothermic process. No rotting involved. Evidently the period cook
who wrote this knew more about chemistry than the author of the web
page.

3. This one would put me off a bit, but that's the point, although,
as the recipe states, there's nothing actually unwholesome about it.

4. Again, "Oh, my gosh!" Boiled meats with oysters. Welcome to the
300 years of English cookery that predates their somewhat unjust
reputation for bad cooking.

5. There's no evidence this one is for any purpose other than
entertainment, so if you eat the chickens you roasted _without_ this
extra step, there's no problem. Again, the page's author might learn
a little elementary chemistry -- sulfur and mercury does not yield
hydrogen sulfide, the gas produced by rotten eggs (among other things).

Hey, nobody in the world appreciates a good joke more than me, but
I'm not a big fan of humor that comes at the expense of someone else,
especially someone who doesn't deserve it.

I'm sure if you get yourself into the right frame of mind beforehand,
none of this will be a problem...

Adamantius