[Sca-cooks] milking animals

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Sun Apr 30 21:36:29 PDT 2006

> Lol. Well, it could be worse. From my kumiss-msg file:
>
> -----
> I have a friend who's family raises Shires, the biggest horse in
> existence,
> but she has yet to talk her father into milking one of them. This is
> a daunting task on even a horse as small as the ones common to the
> steppe, and even more so on one as large as a Shire. She once told
> me of a foal their mare had that stood nearly eleven hands at birth.
> That's a big  baby.
>
> Corun
> -----
>
> Stefan

Actually, I'd sooner milk a Shire than a pony ;-) Shires and the other big
draft breeds are pretty calm and tolerant, and generally easy to work with,
other than having a tendency to want to lean on you and fall asleep when
you're trying to shoe them. Smaller horses, particularly ponies, tend to be
the ones that want to kick the bejezus out of you, among other reasons,
because they're so small, no one thinks to train and discipline them properly.

And, I've worked with sheep. Remind me, some time, to tell you about trimming
their hooves as part of my training as a farrier...

Phlip