[Sca-cooks] Re: Thoughts on cheesemaking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 30 21:38:31 PDT 2006

Gianotta commented:

He may have made cheese in my grandfather's house; Grandpa had built
his home into the side of a hill, Calabrian style, so he had a proper
cave for aging wine and vinegar and storing cheeses. Tony lived on
the "nonhill" side of the street.
<<<

Isn't there a concern about cross-contamination between the three of
these storing them all in the same location? Or is that only a
problem with currently fermenting items? Although I thought all three
of these might still have some fermentation going on, just slower
than in the earlier phases of their production.

Well, now I am really going to try my hand at ricotta and ricotta
salata!
<<<

I guess I may have missed this earlier, but what is the difference
between "ricotta" and "ricotta salata"? Or is that second simply
ricotta salad? :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas