[Sca-cooks] sugar problems

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 2 09:04:40 PDT 2006

otsisto wrote:
> << I firmly believe that "diet" sodas with aspartame are a major part of the
> reason why America is so obese.>>
>  There was a study on another theory, (which of coarse now that I need it I
> can't find the blasted thing) that the switch to corn syrup from cane sugar
> may be what started Americans on the road to obesity.

My personal blame rests with the agricultural lobbies, who got their
version of the "Food Pyramid" recommending the largest portion of a
"healthy diet" to include more cereals and starches than any other food
group.  That and the "Super Size" movement, as has been pointed out by
others.

My personal excuse lies with my ancestors, of course.  You should see
the women on my mother's side, who look like me.  I'm descended from
generations of people who survived famines and other hungry times.  The
skinny ones died off, the survivors tend to lay in fat reserves for the
darned healthy.  Evolution In Action, Bay-Beee!  ;-)

If you have a problem with my weight, it is =your= problem.  Would some
chocolate make you feel better?

Selene