[Sca-cooks] Chocolate was Silly Season Starts August 4

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Aug 3 16:45:03 PDT 2006

Why am I reminded of Fettiplace's "To make a chocolate cream" recipe
which appeared at
many an SCA dessert revel in the mid 1980's? It was being dated as 1604!
It's ok! It's almost
period!
For those that weren't around then,  Fettiplace's original manuscript
contained a small
number of post Restoration recipes and the editor of the published
version included the chocolate
cream recipe in her book. Only by carefully reading the introduction (on
page 35) did one learn
that the chocolate cream was late 17th century or later and not 1604!
But most people never
read the introduction, so the recipe kept appearing for a number of
years. SO
If we can live through "To make a chocolate cream",  we probably can
live through this recipe too.

Johnnae