[Sca-cooks] on topic: Healthy Feasts - was OT: diet, was sugar problems

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 13:55:11 PDT 2006

comments below

> On Aug 5, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Tom Vincent wrote:
>

>> In the SCA, are any cooks/chefs/feastocrats consciously (or
>> conscientiously) adjusting feast menus to cut back on the fats and
>> increase the use of healthier ingredients?  I'm often horrified at the
>> amount of cheeses, meats, butter & oil that goes into so many of the
>> dishes I see (or help) prepare at feasts.  The only way I can justify
>> partaking in the feasts is by working a few pounds off in the kitchen
>> beforehand and being a server during. :)
>>

> Which is probably pretty close to what our period counterparts did,
> in addition to burning more calories simply to keep warm.

D:  Yes, indeed.  Although I would hope that period back-breaking work
at slave wages doesn't become part of the SCA's mandate. ;>
> Do our health-conscious fighters acknowledge the potential hazards in
> striking each other with a three-pound rattan whip, and say, "I could
> have hit you there, so you should just acknowledge the blow. And by
> the way, I'm Crown Prince now" ?

D:  I don't see the connection, sarcastic or not.  My question was about
providing and promoting healthier feasts to a group that is more or less
as obese as the general public, not about D&D-type calls in stick-fighting.
> Our goal is to contribute to the period ambiance, and, ideally, to
> directly educate about period food. If diners don't already have some
> basic idea of nutrition, serving them healthy food one day a week
> isn't going to reverse the damage they're probably doing the rest of
> the time.

D:  Every little bit helps, I suppose.  Maybe being exposed to a
healthier feast would encourage people as well as show them that the
chef(s) cared about their health.
> Yes, it could be a problem if partaking of an SCA feast becomes the
> equivalent of a Thanksgiving or other holiday pig-out once (or twice)
> a week, every week, but this is a matter for personal responsibility,
> IMO.

D:  As everything is, but I also believe that "It Takes A Village":  We
help each other.