[Sca-cooks] on topic: Healthy Feasts - was OT: diet, was sugar problems

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 15:47:21 PDT 2006

Well, the SCA has already taken the religion, disease, slavery,
brutality and historical methods for crown-gaining out of the historic
period, so what's wrong with modifying the dishes to conform with
healthier dietary guidelines?  Hell, you don't even use real swords!

After all, it isn't called Modern Middle Ages for nothing.

I didn't suggest strictly 'Lenten food' or 'food for the poor'.  No one
did, so your red herrings don't help, but how about revisions to period
recipes (and their previous modern redactions) in favor of healthier
substitutions?  Cutting the butter in half, the cheese in half, the oil
in half?  Simple changes like those?

No, I didn't see your feast menu, but I'll try to search through the
archives to find it.  It sounds wonderful!

One feast I did didn't include any added fat except some butter in the
apricot-mead glaze for the Cornish game hens and some butter & Parmesan
cheese in the Risotto Milanese.

Maybe not everyone wants to be helped, but that doesn't mean we
shouldn't try to provide a supportive, constructive environment.

Duriel