[Sca-cooks] New Topic--Pennsic goodies...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Aug 6 23:26:53 PDT 2006

Maire asked:
<<< Okay, so here's something I was planning to ask anyway, since
Pennsic's been
such a hot topic recently.
Several of my barony are going this year, and a good friend has
offered to
go shopping for me, if I want her to.  I have some money, but not a
ton, and
they don't have loads of room.  I'm tempted.  Sorely tempted.  But I
can't
figure out what I should ask for, never having *been* to Pennsic.  >>>

I guess asking them to bring you to Pennsic doesn't count? Oh. You
meant to bring back as a gift to you. Rather than to *us*.

Well, one of the Pennsic T-shirts, as someone else mentioned.

Have them go by the Pepperer's Guild, near the barn, and look for the
exotic spices you can't get in your home area. Cubebs, as mentioned
here in other threads. Long Pepper, Grains of Paradise and a vial of
saffron. They sell they saffron for a good price and it is a very,
deep, dark red.  They do sell by mail, but being a volunteer effort
sometimes it takes a while for them to process an order. And get a
bottle of verjuice, if they have any in stock.

Leather? There is an outfit there that sells bulk pieces of
miscellaneous pieces of leather bundled into a large roll for a
fairly good price. I've still got most of mine from Pennsic 21,
though. It lasts a long time. I note the space restriction, so this
might not be a good choice.

Woad? There is a Lady there that sells little plastic envelopes of
powdered woad from England. She is in one of the little merchant
houses near the barn and the Pepperer's Guild. If you are into making
your own oak gall ink, she usually also has some nice oak galls from
England. Much nicer than anything I've seen on my trees here or
anywhere else. Right now I can't remember if this is Alesandre/Honour
or Mistress Megan, but they are both in the same area.

Hand-carved wooden spoons? A particular type of period pottery? There
are several folks making very authentic looking medieval pots now,
including Master Hroar. Period cookies made with reproductions of
wooden cookie molds?  A period style portable timepiece/sundial? Hand-
forged cooking utensils?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas