[Sca-cooks] How long do whole spices last??

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 7 06:49:04 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
On Aug 6, 2006, at 11:46 PM, Heleen Greenwald wrote:

> Hello from long-lost Phillipa Seton.
> :-)
> Can someone tell me how long whole spices last? I have some that
> are at
> least 5 years old.
> Thanks a lot.
> Be well,
> Phillipa

That will vary according to how they were stored, how old they were
when you got them, and a number of other factors.

Probably the simplest thing would be to grind a bit and see how it
tastes and smells.

Welcome back, BTW! Don't be a stranger!

Adamantius > > > > > > >

I pulled some whle cubeb out last week that had been sealed in a half pint
jelly jar in a carboard box on a shelf for at least 3 years.  I ground some
in a mortar, and the volitiles were still quite bright and pungent.  It
probably lost some punch over the years, but I would say that with proper
handling, 5 years is not out of the question.  Freezing some spices can make
them last still longer . . . . my long pepper is going on 6 years, or longer
in the freeze, vaccuum sealed.  Just like 'new'.

niccolo difrancesco