[Sca-cooks] pennsic class--Jadwiga's Wildly Weedy Herbs

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Mon Aug 7 09:44:39 PDT 2006

> One of the classes I'm teaching is "Wildly Weedy Herbs" (not on the
> schedule yet, but it'll be Monday, 8/14, 5PM, AS04)

> Period uses for plants that grow wild in North America; lawn weeds,
> hedgerows, roadsides, parks, waste places. Also guidelines/suggestions
> for gathering/ transplanting when appropriate. No walking required.
>
> The plants I'm planning to cover are:
> Plantain
> Purslane
> Chicory
> Dandelion
> Johnny-jump-ups
> Violets
> Chickweed
> Celandine
> Bedstraw and cleavers
> Mugwort/Motherwort/Artemesias
> Catnip
> Roses
> Mints
> Yarrow
> Tansy
> Nettle
> Teasel
> Lamb's quarters /pigweed/fat hen
> Ground Ivy/Alehoof
> Mustard and Charlock

***Before I start, let me say how much I enjoy your wonderful webbed
handouts from your other classes!  Thanks for doing them and sharing them.

***Additions:
(Some areas have the more domesticated ones I mention growing wild.  Now
that I've got so many fruits on here, there might be enough for a second
class on Wild Fruits and Nuts.)
Alliums of various sorts
Apples, crabapples
Asparagus
Blackberries--to use similarly to black currents or raspberries
Blueberry
Carrot/Queen Anne's Lace
Cherries
Chestnuts
Clover
Daylily--food and medicine
Elderberry
Elderberry Flowers
Evening Primrose
Ferns, tasty edible ones
Grapes, scuppernong, muskadine
Grape leaves
Hazelnut/Filbert
Hickory--use similarly to walnut, good smoker wood
Honeysuckle including medicinal uses
Horehound
Horseradish
Olives
Orach
Rerilla
Plum, Beach plum, sand plum
Raspberry
Rhubarb
Rowan fruit
Soapwort
Sorrel
Sweet Cicely
Walnut (including useful dye)
Watercress
Wild Lettuce
Willow (including asprin, baskets for herb gathering)
Winter cress

***Ones that I don't know if there is a similar European item
Buckwheat/Knotweed/Lady's Thumb
Cranberry
Persimmon
Prickly Lettuce (medicinal herb)

***Warnings:
Carrot/Queen Anne's Lace and Sweet Cicely--Do not confuse with water
hemlock, poison hemlock, cow parsnip
Pokeweed--Can be used as cooked green when young.  See Steve Brill's The
Wild Vegetarian Cookbook for how to cook it safely.
Mushrooms

***Resources
ForageAhead-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Sharon