[Sca-cooks] speaking of smokers...wood?

Alexa mysticgypsy1008 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 13:21:43 PDT 2006

Thank you very much Fergus,
  I will have to try it.  Maybe mixing it with some maple or hickory.

  Alexa

Fergus Stout <bullheaded67 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Alexa,

I have found no indication that there is anything unpleasant, i.e. tar etc, or harmful (toxicity) with using crepe myrtle to smoke foods. I am not sure how pleasant the results would be to the palate however. I suspect that the smoke would be floral in nature. I have seen some indications that it is a low smoke wood so you may not get sufficient smoke produced for a cold smoke. Please try it and let us know the results!

Fergus