[Sca-cooks] powdered sugar redux

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Mon Aug 7 16:20:01 PDT 2006

on powdered sugar(s)...
I guess for me, my first choice would be:

for recipes calling for powdered sugar with starch, I'd aim for grinding sugar and adding wheat starch
(available in some asian markets) or rice starch (ditto...rice would be whiter...) as a first choice.

if I couldnt find those starches, then I might consider modern powdered sugar.

dont get me wrong, I use modern powdered sugar in some recipes. its easy, its available, its cheap. but I
do so fully acknowleging that my end result may or may not be approximating the results our medieval
counterparts would have gotten.

just my opinion, of course :)
--Anne-Marie