[Sca-cooks] speaking of smokers...wood?

Alexa mysticgypsy1008 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 20:17:55 PDT 2006

Thanks for the warning.  I didn't think about that.
  This particular myrtle is close to my house in the back  yard.  No gardens in the area, except the one I recently planted (which I am avoiding the use of any chemicals) , only thing near the tree other than the house is the driveway.  We have been here 2 years, havent sprayed pesticides.  Before us, a 90 year old woman lived here, alone.  doubt she used anything like that.
  But, after last minute gathering last night, pool party, hot dogs and hamburgers on the regular grill, and then the fire pit pulled out...seems most of the myrtle wood was used.  I am not sure how much is left.

  In all my searching, however, I did find that myrtle wood makes great fire wood because it burns slowly.  So, if there isnt much left, I might be saving it for the next weekend event or the next fire pit session...

  Alexa

"Mike C. Baker" <kihebard at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Alexa, I haven't seen the whole traffic on this thread yet, but I will
barge ahead with one warning just because:
Crepe myrtle in my experience is *often* grown in the near proximity to
flower beds which are more aggressively treated with pesticides than
perhaps any other part of our yards and gardens, possibly with the
exception of some fruit trees ...

Please be cautious if you do not know the full history of ANY wood that
you may use for smoking, and certainly check into possible effects even
if you do know about the tree but not the use of the particular wood as
a cooking agent.

Amra / Kihe / Mike