[Sca-cooks] Images of Dining in Ireland 1581

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Aug 8 18:49:25 PDT 2006

http://www.wynja.com/arch/cooking.html  is an article subtitled--
Boiling water in a skin pot over a fire (or not...)

Of course in July Aislinn said: was hunting
Saxon leather cooking vessel fragments.

Maybe this will count towards that as well.

Johnnae
>>> The Image of Irelande, by John Derrick
>>> (London, 1581). The most famous plate of the set shows the chief of
>>> theMac Sweynes seated at dinner and being entertained by a bard and a
>>> harper. http://www.lib.ed.ac.uk/about/bgallery/Gallery/researchcoll/
>>> ireland.html
>>>
>>> Johnnae
Is it my imagination, or does this depict what appears to be food being
cooked in a sort of leather sling over a fire?