[Sca-cooks] Marinaded Mushrooms and Artichoke Hearts

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 9 15:04:16 PDT 2006

Sorry to cut in on the Silly Season with a serious recipe, but this one that
I just used at the monthly YMCA lunch is to good not to share.

Marinaded Mushrooms and Artichoke Hearts

Marinade:

1 cup Extra Light Olive Oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 teaspoons sugar (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons Splenda)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon powdered mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 clove of garlic, crushed

Mix the oil and lemon juice in a bowl.  Add the dry ingredients.  Whisk
until blended.

The marinade will handle approximately 3 pounds of mushrooms and artichoke
hearts.  I used 1 1/2 pounds of mushrooms, quartered and with the stems
removed, and 3 nine ounce packages of frozen artichoke hearts steamed until
fork tender.

Put the mushrooms and artichoke hearts in a bowl, pour on the marinade and
stir to coat the vegetables thoroughly.  Cover and refrigerate.  Stir every
30 minutes for a couple of hours, then again before serving.

I'm planning to prepare another batch of the marinade to use as a sauce for
a cold dish of angel hair pasta with diced tomatoes and pine nuts.  I'll
probable throw a skewer of grilled shrimp on top as a nice addition.

Bear