[Sca-cooks] "True Story" by Leslie Fish

Pat Griffin ldyannedubosc at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 10 10:53:35 PDT 2006

This is a filk song by Leslie Fish, who was around when the whole fiasco was
happening.  It is loosely based on a true incident.  Remember, Leslie is a
Bard, with a Bard's sense of humor.  It seems to have become the source of
many of the "facts" I've seen on this thread.  I don't know how much of the
song is true, but even she admits that it's not "history" it's a SONG!

True Story

By Leslie Fish

Harmless historical nuts,
Who wear boiler-plate on their butts,
Who dress up in clothes from the twelfth century,
To bash on each other with sticks and debris,
And make up the world's largest private army,
Harmless historical nuts.

As I was out shopping, expecting no harm,
Two big FBI men grabbed me by the arm,
Dragged me into a cellar, shone lights in my eyes,
Demanding full answers without any lies,
About a new threat to good patriotism,
This "Society for Creative Anarchism".
I said "They're just . . .

I answered, "'Tis true, to that club I belong,
Put pardon me gentlefolk, you've spelled the name wrong.
Now I swear by the Cross and the Host and the Chrism,
That last word is actually 'anachronism'.
It just means 'outdated'. Pray why don't you look,
In Sir Merriam Webster's reliable book?
It says we're just . . .

When finally persuaded to look up the word,
They blushed and they winced hard enough to be heard.
They hastily set me back out on the street,
But I knew 'twasn't over and once more we'd meet.
So I passed on the warning to realms far and near,
To give the impression for all the next year,
That we're just . . .

And soon enough four infiltrators came in,
All snooping for politics, sniffing for sin.
Three went away again, scratching their heads,
But the fourth quit his job and turned stick-jock instead.
He's won coronets, he's in love with the sport,
And we still have a copy of his last report.
It says we're just . . .

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook
Formerly of Atenveldt and once acquainted with Leslie Fish