[Sca-cooks] Mrs. Cromwell's cookery book was Elizabethan chicken salad

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 14 14:40:05 PDT 2006

But of course I bought copies.
One has to support the local library. They kept me in
mysteries while I was there. That was a very long winter
in a very small flat.

There are some interesting articles online now--
*Elizabeth Cromwell's Kitchen Court*
Republicanism and the Consort *by KATHARINE GILLESPIE*
http://www.genders.org/g33/g33_gillespie.html

The actual text was microfilmed back in 1964.
Identified as Wing C7036 on UMI "Early English books, 1641-1700",
microfilm reel 137. So copies can be copied off.
It's actually up on EBBO but it takes some messing about to find it.
It can be found by using the Wing number C7036. The entry reads:
Anon.
The Court & kitchin of Elizabeth, commonly called Joan Cromwel the wife
of the late usurper, truly described and represented, and now made
publick for general satisfaction., London : Printed by Tho. Milbourn for
Randal Taylor ..., 1664.
Date: 1664
Bib Name / Number: Wing / C7036
No. pages: [20], 133 [i.e. 145] p. :
Copy from: British Library

Note the spelling of kitchin and Cromwel in the cataloguing.

Johnnae