[Sca-cooks] Simon Bolivar's Pemmican

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Aug 27 09:09:15 PDT 2006

Was discussing Wars in general, and Simon Bolivar came up, with some
of the changes he made to the then-current army organization by
Europeans. One of the more intriguing details, was that as a journey
food, he developed and used a variant of pemmican that was compact and
nutritious enough for a soldier to carry 5 days of rations with him at
all times.

I've been searching the "Net, but haven't had any luck finding a
recipe for this substance. Can any of you, who are more skilled with
the 'Net perhaps find me that recipe? I'm thinking, knowing what I do
about travel foods, and pemmican in general, that it should contain a
mix of dried meat, fat, and likely local berries/fruits, but a
specific recipe would be a great help.

Thanks,

--
Saint Phlip