[Sca-cooks] Green cardamom?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 28 21:11:59 PDT 2006

Cardomom appears in the writings of Pliny and Dioscorides and it appears to
have been a popular spice in Rome.  It's original introduction into Europe
was probably in the 4th Century BCE to the Greeks.  The problem is we can't
tell from the writing what type of cardomom was being used.

There is also a question as to whether cardomom was substituted for grains
of paradise or vice-versa, which generated an extensive debate on the list.
You should be able to find it in the Florilegium.

Bear