[Sca-cooks] Favorite Food Gift Ideas

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 28 21:48:30 PDT 2006

niccolo difrancesco asked back on Monday the 14th:

<<< I will ceertainly check the florilegium for articles, but I am also
interested in people's recent ideas of nmostly non-perishable food items
used as gifts.

powder forte, poder douce, hypocras spice, various mustard sauces,
and whole
spices such as long pepper, ceylon cinnamon and saffron (for those
who have
never used them especially) >>>

These sound good, although I'm not sure how well the spices would go
over with non-medieval cooks. Unless perhaps you provided some sample
recipes or suggested uses.

<<< What other very simple food-related gift ideas has anyone recently
used that connects to our food hobby. >>>

My apologies if you have already done a through check of the
Florilegium. The easiest way to do such a search is probably to
download the filelist on the site and search it. In this case looking
for "gift". The one online should date from just before Pennsic and
it is my intention to try to keep the online version of this file
more current in the future.

Anyway, here is a food gift file.
food-gifts-msg    (19K) 12/21/04    Period food items that make good
gifts.

Here are some not necessarily food gift files, just in case some of
you all might be interested in these.
Pennsic-gifts-msg  (8K)  9/10/99    Some gift ideas for those going
to Pennsic.
gifts-4-staff-msg  (7K)  7/14/02    Gift suggestions for members of
the event
                                        stewards or headcooks staff.
largess-ideas-msg (51K) 11/30/00    Ideas for largess and gifts.
Royalty gifts.

holiday-gifts-lnks (16K) 11/11/04    Links to medieval holiday gifts
                                        by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
baby-gifts-msg    (20K)  4/13/98    Period-type and SCA-useful baby
gifts.
Vik-Shp-lst-art   (14K)  3/27/97    "Little Viking's Holiday Shopping
List"
                                        by Gunnora Hallakarva.

Stefan
--------