[Sca-cooks] Yams, Pumpkins, Pecan Pie, was s'mores?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 04:06:05 PDT 2006

Yes. I do.  You have seen my 150' pecan tree in the back yard.  For many years, before
the squirrels moved in, we used to get, on average, 3 grocery bags full of pecans a year.
But now, the squirrels get them all and leave us none...  Well, okay, the parrots and the
crows get some also, but we don't.

Anyway, the secret to making a good pecan pie is to use a lot of pecans!  I know that they
are expensive to buy, which is why you only get a thin layer in a pie, but the best pecan
pies I have ever had were chock full o' nuts.

Here is one of my favorite recipes:

Pecan pie

4 eggs
4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup mild honey, such as clover
1 tbsp. rum
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups shelled pecans, whole or in large broken pieces
Your favorite pie crust recipe.

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Beat the eggs and brush the bottom of the crust
with a bit of the beaten eggs. Prick the crust in several places with a fork. Prebake
7 minutes and remove from the heat.

2. Cream together the butter and honey. Beat in the eggs, and add the rum, vanilla,
nutmeg, and salt. Fold in the pecans and pour into the pie crust. Bake 35 to 40 minutes,
until firm and browned. The filling will puff up in the oven, and fall upon cooling. Allow
to cool on a rack.

I hope you like this recipe.

Huette