[Sca-cooks] pennsci hay

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 1 00:12:20 PDT 2006

Kirsten Houseknecht explained:

<<< two things about hay, since *most* sites do not allow outside hay
to be
brought in...

1. its a pain to clean up, and takes ages to rot unless it si properly
composted.  you really want to know exactly who has hay in their camp.

2.hay, firewood, etc. can harbor dangerous bugs.  at one of the camps
i go
to in indiana, they refuse to let any firewood in or out.  the reason is
some wood beetle that is devatstating forests.  they dont allow hay from
outside either since it can harbor bad bugs too.... by saying you can
only
buy this from *us* and we want to know your camp, they can destroy
any of
the leftover, as well as ensure it comes  from a clean source. >>>

However, what the Coopers sell are straw bales, not hay bales. I used
to say they were hay bales but got sternly corrected on that.
Apparently there are various advantages of using straw instead of hay
in durability and the moisture. This is the same reason that they
make houses out of straw bales, not hay bales.

However, some of these concerns may still apply to straw bales as
well as hay bales.

Stefan
A city boy
--------