[Sca-cooks] Pennsic weather

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 2 21:49:25 PDT 2006

Jadwiga replied to me with:
<<<
 > With so many parts of the country talking about heat waves, I'm
 > wondering if this is going to be one of those very hot Pennsics (24?)
 > where everyone was edgy because of the heat. Or even one a few years
 > ago when the waterbearers were making periodic rounds of the class
 > tents as well as the field.

That was a one-time event, and the waterbearers are apparently not
allowed to do it any more. >>>

What!!! *Not allowed*?  Whose DUMB-ASS idea is that!

Okay, I usually try to withhold judgement until hearing the reasons,
but it is rather difficult in this situation.

It usually isn't needed. I didn't make Pennsic 24, but I was at a
later one that was hot and that was the one where the waterbearers
were occasionally making the rounds of the tents and/or leaving
bottles of water. Not allowing them to do so thugh... This really
sounds like someone's beauracratic turf building/defending with
little thought to the safety of the regular Pennsic participants.
The ones on the field are not the only ones in need of replenishing
liquids during a very hot Pennsic. And for many people the walk back
to their camps is not a quick little jog away.

<<< there are donated jugs of water in most of
the tents by the time War Week starts; >>>

I don't remember seeing very many, if any, since that War I'm
thinking about. But perhaps they just didn't stick in my mind because
they weren't needed.

<<< if you see one, and it's running
low, consider taking it up to Chirugeons' and refilling it from the
Cow. >>>

Okay. I try to always remember to bring a waterskin or bottle of
water or a soft drink to class. But sometimes, and I imagine others,
forget. On the hot days that is why it is nice to have water
available. I don't think it should be required to have the water
available. We have enough regulations already. But to forbid it being
provided????

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas