[Sca-cooks] OT collecting disability

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 3 10:30:57 PDT 2006

From: "Daniel  Phelps" <phelpsd at gate.net>
> All I can do is suggest what my father did.  He is a disabled war vet whose
> disabilities started with frost bite in the Korean War and were capped by a
> Purple Heart from his second tour in Nam.  He turned up the heat until it
> burned the hair off their collective toes.  He worked with the DAV.  He
> started writing his elected representatives.  Pester such with E-mails,
> letters and if you can arrange it personal visits.  Get them involved.
> Nothing like a Congressional inquiry to focus attention on a problem.  It is
> after all one of reasons they were elected and have such big staffs right?
> Keep records of what has happened in a file along with what you wrote to
> whom.  Copy such to them and keep a record of that as well.  If they don't
> help, find out who is going to run against them and talk to them.   Be a
> gadfly that can't be swatted and will not go away.   Know how the game is
> played and play hard ball.
>
> Daniel

Yes, on a completely different issue (getting money for classes that would help me find a job...money that had been allocated by a Federal agency, but was being administered by a MD employee who regarded it as her own private fiefdom), after many attempts to budge the woman off of the funds, I contacted my Congressman, told him of the situation (actually one of his aids), and had the money within 48 hours!!!  Amazing what a little political pressure can accomplish!

Kiri