[Sca-cooks] 700 yrs English cooking

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 3 17:14:41 PDT 2006

Both these books are old and not to be trusted. Ms. Maxime, under both last
names,
does mostly give you the original and her redactions, but they are not good
redactions
and frequently use modern ingredients with no explanation as to why she
made the substitutions.
It is not a book I would recommend to anyone just starting out in period
cookery and research.

Huette

Sorry, I deleted this email off my spamblocker before I got the proper
subject line.

I simply read the prologue whose info was verified by other books. There is
no need to use tertiary sources such as this one for actual cooking when it
is very easy nowadays to get one's hands on the primary source,
translations and SCAdian redactions. Seven hundred years doesn't go back
far enough to encompass Anglo-Saxon cookery anyway, but I was curious as to
what she had to say about it.

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.