[Sca-cooks] Silly Season Starts August 4

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 3 18:41:07 PDT 2006

--- Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> aeduin wrote:
> > Ideas for this year:
> >
> > 1:  What are Mario Nebbits' favorite ways to eat a Twinkie?
> >
> I may try something from the TWINKIE COOKBOOK that Padraig sent me as a
> gag gift [and which sits next to the SPAM COOKBOOK on my shelf]...
> Twinkies as the bottom layer of Trifle.  Enough sherry and we'll forget
> about the cream filling, what say?

Has anyone ever eaten a deep-fried twinkie?  I have seen them at County Fairs,
along with deep-fried Mars Bars and Krispy-Kream Hamburgers, but I am too chicken
to try them.

> > 3:  Cream of Chicken vs. Cream of Mushroom, which is the One True
> > Lutheran Binder?
> That sounds like a question for Ms. Huette, the One True Lutheran [and I
> mean that in a good way!]  I use Cream of Celery more often than not but
> I'm a heretic.

Cream of Mushroom is the One True Lutheran Binder.  I have printed proof!  At least
a dozen Lutheran congregation produced cookbooks.  Cream of Mushroom is called for
over either Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery by a 2 to 1 ratio combined.

Using canned soups as a casserole basis has been one thing that my mother taught me.
And I think I have been fairly creative in their uses.  I have also used Cream of Broccoli,
Golden Mushroom and even Split Pea in my casseroles and everyone always compliments me.

Huette, LCMS