[Sca-cooks] 'Tis the Season (for produce, not sillies)

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 3 20:29:59 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
Well, I play it by ear or rather by mouth, depending on how sweet the plums
are and how tart.  Plums, cooked to soften [not much], run through a sieve
to clear out the pits and skins.  Add sugar and rice vinegar as needed, cook
to thicken a little.  Other probable additives;  fresh ginger, Sichuan
pepper [and no capsicum].

This was a spinoff of plum butter, which takes the plum puree, adds sugar in
a 1:1 weight ratio, and cooks until thickened, stirring frequently.  One
time it didn't thicken at all, whereupon the other flavorants were added and
I called it Plum Sauce.  I meant to do that, yeah!

Selene > > > > > >

Makes me want to use Long Pepper in place of the Szechuan for that little
bit of Old European zip we all play with.  So, figs with some powdre forte
and a little extra long pepper and some lemon zest . . . . this is coming
together for me now.

Sorry to obsess about little figgies.

niccolo