[Sca-cooks] Chocolate Milk at Pennsic, Raw Milk containers, WASn Raw Milk at Pennsic

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Fri Aug 4 10:54:51 PDT 2006

any sort of non reactive container works to transport milk....but cleanliness is the primary consideration. if
you'r emaking cheese, you dont want to have the wrong bugs! plus it just tastes nasty...

on the farm we'd use stainless steel and glass. Pig milk (ie the stuff that we were just going to feed to the pigs
and chickens) could go into old plastic milk jugs (we never felt confident that we could get them as clean as we
could get stainless and glass which we could sterilize in the dishwasher)

if you know you're goign to do this, I'd suggest washing out some glass bottles/jars with lids and running them
through the dishwasher to sterilize them. seal them and transport empty (the inside will be nice and clean and
that's teh part you care about :))

now, if you're going to nab that mornings milk and immediately make cheese, whatever, that's your safest bet!

its all matter of limiting contamination, and then using it before the bugs already in there grow too many. Being
speedy works, but if that's not an option, using a cooler can help too. just be sure cooler water doesnt
contaminate the milk.

hope this helps! you do realise that you'll be there long enough to make some really fun cheeses, not just soft
ricotta, right? :)

--AM

On Fri Aug  4 11:31 , "Sharon Gordon"  sent: