[Sca-cooks] More thougts on raw milk...

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Sat Aug 5 08:10:37 PDT 2006

I just remembered that one of the farmers I've bought from raises Dutch
Belted, so I was inaccurate in saying that I only buy Jersey cow milk.
But, I've only bought from him once.  I prefer to buy pork from him...
Dang, I've never seen pigs that big in my life.  I don't remember the
breed, but they were as big as freakin' trucks - and the ham was *so*
flavorful!

Anyway, on the tail of the chocolate milk thread... last year, I brought
to Pennsic raw milk and Midnight Moo chocolate syrup from Trader Joe's.
Now, THAT is freakin' crack.  Let me tell you, I was never a great
appreciator of Pennsic chocolate milk.  I mean, I liked it... but not
that much.  It sure hit the spot after walking around in 94 degree
weather in three layers of clothing, but I never felt the urge to write
odes to it.  However, Jersey cow milk and Midnight Moo... now, there's
chocolate milk worthy of a sonota.

I'm on the verge of providing ya'll with a treatise on raw milk, healthy
cows and safety ;) but, I think it would be less preachy to direct
anyone interested to the book "The Untold Story of Milk" by Ron Schmid.
Having drunk raw milk for several years now, without ever knocking
myself out to keep it cold during transport or sterilize my glass
bottles (just washing them by hand with a bottle brush), making my own
butter and some cheese, ice cream, raw yogurt and kefir (yes, I let my
raw milk sit out - on top of the refrigerator where it's nice and warm -
for 48 hours at a time to culture it), I just want to say - if it's
certified, don't be afraid of it.  It's not potential medical waste.  In
studies, it tests cleaner than pasteurized milk, and it's harder to
accidentally contaminate because, when it's fresh, it's very
anti-bacterial (just like breastmilk).  Yeah, use common sense - don't
leave it sitting in a hot car for four hours while you cruise the rest
of the farmer's market.  But, don't freak because it wasn't refrigerated
for ten minutes while you walked it from one end of the farm to your
car, either.

-Magdalena vander Brugghe
raw milk enthusiast ;)

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman

[T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf