[Sca-cooks] Raw Milk

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 18:42:36 PDT 2006

Hallelujah, Sistah!!!!!!!!!  Almost all of the
contamination scares from milk or dairy products come
from pasteurized milk.  Ever see one of those
pasteurized diary farms?  *shudder* Those animals are
in filth up to their knees!  Just don't ask to see the
filter socks in the system that pipes the milk from
the animal into the bulk tanks.

Ever since I saw a large-scale fluid milk producers
farm I just about swore off milk.

Eibhlin

I'm on the verge of providing ya'll with a treatise on
raw milk,
healthy
cows and safety ;) but, I think it would be less
preachy to direct
anyone interested to the book "The Untold Story of
Milk" by Ron Schmid.
Having drunk raw milk for several years now, without
ever knocking
myself out to keep it cold during transport or
sterilize my glass
bottles (just washing them by hand with a bottle
brush), making my own
butter and some cheese, ice cream, raw yogurt and
kefir (yes, I let my
raw milk sit out - on top of the refrigerator where
it's nice and warm
-
for 48 hours at a time to culture it), I just want to
say - if it's
certified, don't be afraid of it.  It's not potential
medical waste.
In
studies, it tests cleaner than pasteurized milk, and
it's harder to
accidentally contaminate because, when it's fresh,
it's very
anti-bacterial (just like breastmilk).  Yeah, use
common sense - don't
leave it sitting in a hot car for four hours while you
cruise the rest
of the farmer's market.  But, don't freak because it
wasn't
refrigerated
for ten minutes while you walked it from one end of
the farm to your
car, either.

-Magdalena vander Brugghe
raw milk enthusiast ;)