[Sca-cooks] A message for the silly season....

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Aug 5 23:12:37 PDT 2006

Am Sonntag, 6. August 2006 02:51 schrieb Caointiarn:
> Here is a question for the silly season:  What happens when an egg is "deep
> fried" in it's shell?
> Instead of immersing it on boiling water for hard cooked, it's immersed in
> boiling oil?

At the right temperature, eggs can explode quite spectacularly, so it's not
the kind of experiment I'd care to try (I had one blow up on me while baking
in the ashes and it sounded like fireworks). On the other hand I'm not sure
there will be a major problem if the egg just cracks because once raw egg
gets in contact with hot oil, it will immediately congeal. Of course that's
still a lot of boiling up, so you'd best do it in a very high pot.

Other question: you can poach raw egg in boiling water. Any ideas what happens
if you deep-fry egg, either beaten or 'whole' (slide it from a spoon
chef-style)?

Giano