[Sca-cooks] A message for the silly season....

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Aug 6 08:55:01 PDT 2006

On Aug 6, 2006, at 11:39 AM, grizly wrote:

> Whole shelled egg
>
> Whole Shelled egg with pin hole
>
> Cracked egg immersed from a spoon "poach" style  (suspect cooking
> will be
> way too fast to be palletable)

Apart from the type of oil, that's how you make the egg part of the
garnish for Chicken/Veal Marengo. You float the egg on top of the
oil, and as it fries, you wrap the trailing edges around the yolk.
Ideally, you get a sort of deep-fried, crispy brown soft-boiled egg,
flavored with the olive oil you cooked it in.

Also the best way (IMO) to cook the eggs for huevos ranchero
(although some people just dump salsa on top of any old overcooked
scrambled eggs and call it huevos ranchero...)

Come to think of it, there are period recipes for "frying an egg as
round as a ball", only a slightly more extreme version of the Marengo
method: you need a big pot with plenty of oil, which you stir until
there's a sort of vortex in the middle, into which you drop your
shelled raw egg.

> Heck, if it looks spectacular enough, I could submit it to the show
> producers to see if they wat to try making a mess or showing the
> process
> working or whatever.
>

> niccolo the stunt chef

Don't try this at home, ladeez an' gennulmen... these are trained
professionals.

Adamantius