[Sca-cooks] candy and hostages

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Aug 6 12:30:28 PDT 2006

I have the same sort of issues in filtering out (audio) information at work.
The constant hum of voices, conversations, phones, etc. can drive me
completely to distraction, so much of the time, I've got headphones and
music on.  I can focus with just the music (listening to Vivaldi's violin
concerti recently), but not with conversations et al.  Since I'm uniquely
loud-voiced, myself, it does tend to get me a snicker or
"whatever/glare/shrug" if I ask people to take it down a decibel or two, but
I'm truly not being two-faced about it.  A work friend calls it "distraction
factor," and oh man, when you're doing the sort of mind-numbing tweaking of
maps that we have to do sometimes, it's a real issue.
I am not diagnosed with any sort of disorder other than an obvious eating
disorder, but I am messy, easily distracted, prone to take on one project
after another, and have absolutely NO sense of time.  My mom used to say you
could look at any classroom in school, and immediately know which desk was
mine because of the magpie nest messiness of it.  Similar to my father and
both grandfathers, but not my maternal parent or grandmothers at all, but
then, I've only got Grandma Lauder's build and coloring, and everything else
(personality, talents, etc.) are all from the male line, near as I can tell.
I cope with it by making extensive use of FlyLady, who's a huge believer in
set routines.  I have them all written down in a Control Journal, and I can
scan right down my checklists to see what I've managed to forget.  I've also
learned to break more complex tasks down into 15 minute chunks.
--Maire