[Sca-cooks] a Well-Dressed Peacock and a Golden Calf (was on topic: Healthy Feasts)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 6 20:04:42 PDT 2006

Elaine Koogler wrote:

>Can you remind me of what you asked?
>
>Kiri

I didn't ask anything, actually.  I was just hoping for a comment.  I
posted a translated excerpt from the Arte Cisoria, a 1423 carving
manual.  I'm giving serious thought to tackling the book, even though
the Spanish is more difficult than the 16th c. stuff I've worked with.
The excerpt described a gilded calf stuffed with birds.  I thought it
was an interesting example of conspicuous consumption.  Also, critters
stuffed into other critters is a recurring topic on this list (usually
around Thanksgiving or Christmas, when turduckens are in season).

--

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net